Technical Details

All images were taken using a Mamiya-7 6x7 medium format film camera.  Color images were shot using Fuji Velvia 100f, RVP 100, or Provia 100.  Final show images will be archival inkjet on Pictorico Hi-Gloss White Film paper.  Finished print sizes will be 8 3/4" x 13 3/8" or 13 3/8" x 8 3/4".

Percent Complete

45% (45 of 100 famous places)

100 Famous Views

Below are the images selected by each volunteer/participant followed by their initial request.

#40 Alibaba Motel (Jennifer)

Click on Picture to Enlarge
One of the famous/infamous landmarks along the 55 fwy heading south is the AliBaba Motel (off Newport Blvd and 22nd).   It is of significance because it was once a fine establishment to stay in when visiting Costa Mesa/Goathill back in the day, but also because it is of personal value to me.  Upon leaving my marriage with my 6 (now 16 year old daughter) from  a move to Northern California, we returned to Costa Mesa--our home.  When we were exiting the freeway, she said,  "Oh Momma, the AliBaba! We're Home!"  And every single day that I drive past, I think, "I am home."  The way the light is reflected off the gold roof is phenomenal.  The fact that teenagers now rent the rooms out for a night to party.  It has evolved as the OC has evolved and as my daughter and I have evolved.  For better or worse, it still stands and represents home to me and to her and probably to many others.  Take a look!  MAP